It’s my absolute favorite time of year! It’s FALL… Autumn….. Autumnal Equinox….. Harvest… whatever you choose to call it…. IT’S HERE! Fall means that Halloween is around the corner and then Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years quickly follow suit. Fall means that leaves are changing, falling, being raked and we’re jumping in piles (ok, maybe just the kids are, but I know you want to!) Fall means that apple picking is in season and apple cider is free flowing! But most importantly, Fall means that all varieties of squash are in season, as well as soups, crock pot creations, stews, and everything that indicates “comfort food” in your mind! So with that said…… Let’s talk about sweet potatoes.
Did I catch you off guard with that one? Yea, caught me off guard too! BUT, sweet potatoes are comfort food, they’re hearty, they’re warm and they’re so good for you. I read today online, on one of the fifty-thousand websites I looked at to gauge the proper time/temp for baking sweet potatoes (which I still can’t decide on… ), that sweet potatoes provide over 700% of your daily vitamin A! For real?! Maybe that’s exaggerated. But we all know that the soft buttery orange goodness inside is sky high in vitamins. Are you afraid of carbs? Mehh, everything in moderation, is key!
Sing with me… THIS-CHICK-IS-ON-FIYAHHHHH, FIYAHHHHH, Fiyahhhhh…. This dish is NOT for the faint of taste buds. You saw the word Sriracha in the title of this post, right? This spud is SPICY! This spud is on FIYAH. And if you love a good kick in the nasal passage, you’re going to love the Sriracha Stuffed Sweet Potatoes! I stuffed them with my favorite plant based meat alternative: Beyond Meat. But you can use any kind of meat alternative, whether that be tempeh, tofu, lentils, etc. OR, you can please the carnivorous mouths in your house by using ground turkey. I highly recommend using the left over “stuffing” and mixing it into a salad, or toss with noodles, extend it into many more meals! If you enjoy eating your spud stuffed, check out my older recipe for Agave Lime and Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potato.
xo, This Chick
This serves up a great hearty meal. Use the left over "stuffing" to add to a salad, or mix with some noodles, etc. You can extend this into many meals!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup broccoli florets (chopped teeny tiny!)
- 1/3 cup diced sweet onion
- 11 oz plant-based meat alternative (I used Beyond Meat)
- 2 Tbps milk
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5-2 Tbsp cornstarch
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes clean and then poke a fork in them all over. Place them on a sheet of foil, on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- In the last 20 minutes or so of the baking, prepare the plant based meat mixture. Sauté the plant based meat, sweet onion and broccoli with olive oil. Adding salt and pepper to taste as needed.
- In a small pot, mix the milk, Sriracha, apple cider vinegar and cornstarch until well combined. Bring the pot to a simmer, stirring constantly until the sauce begins to thicken. Add more cornstarch if necessary.
- When the potatoes are cooked, slice them open and spoon in the plant based meat mixture. Drizzle the Sriracha sauce on top and enjoy!