Have you heard of PINK rice?! I hadn’t either! Until I found myself in the grain aisle of Whole Foods and laughed at HOW MANY VARIETIES of rice there are now! I bought the pink rice because in my mind, it’s just not normal…and what girl doesn’t like pink : ) Go figure the pink rice bag was way smaller than the other “normal” rice varieties and way more expensive. At home, I had fresh cherries in the fridge that I like to eat for a snack here and there, and I thought that the pink rice would look amazing with the red hue of the cherries!
This dish definitely has the flavors of Fall and with many schools back in session, its seems it’s fitting to welcome the autumnal season back! The local grocery store already has Halloween candy stocked while Costco has Christmas decor. There is no order to the months of the year anymore, at least here in Arizona. So why not serve up a Fall dish at the end of the summer? And with cherries at their peak right now, this is a perfect blend of seasons!
The flavors really come together well with the saltiness of the pistachios being offset by the sweet potatoes and tart cherries as well as the agave and cinnamon I snuck in there! And by using quinoa, you’re getting a good dose of protein. This is Vegan, gluten free and addictive. I can tell you that, because I ate the whole thing in two days. : )
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup pink rice (or 2 cups quinoa if no pink rice)
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped in 1/4 inch cubes, peel left on
- 1 cup fresh cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1 Tbsp agave
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Chop the sweet potato.
- Prepare the quinoa and rice (or just quinoa) according to quinoa package instructions.
- Toss the cubes of sweet potato in olive oil and spread on a baking sheet, salt/pepper as desired. Bake for 40 minutes.
- While baking, pit and chop the cherries. Put about 1/2 Tbsp olive oil in a sauté pan and add the cherries, constantly stirring for a minute. Then add the pistachios and keep stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Put the quinoa/rice in a large serving bowl, add the cherry mixture and the sweet potatoes. In a small bowl, mix the agave and cinnamon and then gently toss into the large serving bowl.