There are no words necessary for this tasty casserole. It is bursting with flavor! I wanted to do something different with my spaghetti squash that wasn’t the usual with tomato sauce or an avocado sauce. So I looked around at casserole recipes and figured a tweak here, a tweak there, swap in spaghetti squash, and voila! The Tomato Basil Parmesan Spaghetti Squash Casserole made it’s way onto the table! To make it vegan, swap the parm for a vegan cheese alternative. I would keep this as a Meatless Monday option, but you could toy around with adding ground beef or turkey!
- 2 Tbs olive oil plus spray
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 4 tomatoes on the vine (2 chopped, 2 sliced)
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced into ribbons
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- mozzarella, shredded (enough to sprinkle on top of the casserole to your liking)
- Preheat the oven to 375. Slice the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Use the olive oil spray over the cut side/flesh and then sprinkle salt and pepper lightly. Place on a baking sheet, cut side down and roast for 45 minutes.
- In the meantime, put the onions, 2 of the tomatoes (the ones that you chopped), basil, garlic, olive oil and parmesan cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- When the spaghetti squash is done, scoop out the 'noodles' with a fork and add it to the large mixing bowl with the tomato mixture. Mix everything well and then pour into a large casserole dish. Add more olive oil if needed so it's moist.
- Layer the tomato slices from the 2 remaining sliced tomatoes on top of the casserole and sprinkle the mozzarella on top. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 30-35 minutes and let cool for a few minutes before serving.