There is this rage about cashew cream sauce… that I’ve never quite been interested in. Cashews made into sauce? Instead of cream? (Well, I’m ok with that one..) I admit, I was skeptical. But, then I had this spaghetti squash sitting on the counter. And I wanted to make a sauce for it, but I wanted to switch it up from my usual homemade tomato sauce. Because let’s be honest, for a pasta lover, such as myself, spaghetti squash with tomato/pasta sauce does NOT suffice as a swap. But to make the spaghetti squash into a whole new dish of it’s own, with a new sauce, that would be delicious and adventurous! Thus, I started researching cashew cream sauce. Let me clarify – THERE IS NO CREAM INVOLVED. It’s just an indication of the creaminess of the sauce, due to the cashews. You can relax now ; )
Sweet N Sriracha Spaghetti Squash has been born. And when I reheated it the next day for lunch, it was magical! This dish turns out to be 90% raw. The only thing you cook is the squash! Isn’t that great?! Not only does this mean you retain more of the nutrients of a food’s whole form, but it also makes this a QUICK meal to prepare! (Aside from the 40 minutes roast time for the squash.) This is totally vegan for Vegan Ashley, and for the carnivores out there, I would suggest adding some pan seared chicken! There is quite a bit of heat to this dish, so adjust the measurements of ingredients accordingly so you don’t have a 5 alarm fire in your mouth – unless you like that, then charge ahead! Let me know what you think!
As a side note….. this is so off track from my normal posts, but I had to share…. My Mom came by and I happened to be out of dish soap, so she brought some over for me and said she loves this kind and that it’s just so great. And I thought oh my gosh, Mom is losing it….. SHE’S NOT!
xo, This Chick
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch knob fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp sriracha
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup lite coconut milk (the kind in the can!)
- 1 red chile pepper, slivered into thin rounds
- 2 scallions
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375. Roast the spaghetti squash whole for 40 minutes. Cut in half from North Pole to South Pole ;) and fork out the strings into a large bowl.
- In a Vitamix or food processor, process the cashews, garlic and fresh ginger until broken down.
- Next, in a small bowl, add the sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, honey, tamari, sriracha, lime juice and coconut milk. Whisk a bit and then add to the Vitamix or food processor and process until smooth. If you find the sauce to be too thick, add more coconut milk. The beauty of using the Vitamix is that the 'sauce' will warm up instantly. If you are using a food processor, heat up a bit on the stove.
- Add the mixture to the spaghetti squash, start with small amounts of sauce so that you don't end up drowning the squash. Stir in the white parts of the scallions. Top with the red chile rounds and green part of the scallions.
- Note: Extra sauce should keep for a bout 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
- This dish is Vegan. Carnivores should add pan seared chicken.