I can’t believe it’s April. The year is flying by so quickly! April means that it’s now my busy season at work and the world is about to get crazy on me! I’m going to be traveling more often and working longer hours. This also means I have less time to cook and less time to blog. But that’s ok! That just means I need to be more creative in finding healthy ways to make quick meals as well as meals that will keep me energized!
I was sitting at my desk this morning in my home office thinking about what to eat for breakfast. I really love to cut up fresh fruit on Sunday night and eat it for breakfast, topped with some shredded coconut, throughout the week. However, Sunday’s plans took a turn and I never got to the fruit. Something made me think about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, my Dad’s favorite lunch, yet there were some problems with that thought: 1) i have no bread, 2) bread is not the greatest carb around, 3) can you eat peanut butter and jelly for breakfast?
Screw 1 and 2….. the answer to 3 is YES!
I’m more of an almond butter fan, so I created an Almond Butter & Jelly Smoothie for breakfast and I AM IN LOVE. It totally fulfills that craving for a PB&J without the carbs and possibly added sugars from jarred jellies and jams! And making this for breakfast, I was back in my chair at my desk in 4 minutes flat!
Have I introduced Chloe before? She’s my little Maltese who patiently sits on the floor by my feet in the kitchen waiting for food to drop. You have one of those too? They make for good floor cleaners! Well, I was going through a backlog of cooking magazines on the coffee table this past Saturday and in one of them (no idea which one, but I think it was Clean Eating) was a recipe for doggie cookies! It’s about time I make something for my floor cleaner….
Chloe has a lot of allergies – to foods and environmental things. I can’t really control the environmental allergies, unless I keep her inside, but I CAN control the food allergies! Her number one worst allergen is oats – and any form of oats: oat flour, oatmeal, whole oats, etc. That also means bathing her in a soothing oatmeal shampoo will be anything but soothing! Brutal, right?! I took this opportunity to cook her the cleanest (both in health and in allergies) cookies ever! She LOVES them, and even tried stealing a few (and was successful twice) during my photo shoot! The recipe makes a LOT, so be sure to keep them in the fridge and freeze half of them for later. And expect your pooch to know exactly when you’re making them…. the nose knows. And maybe all the neighborhood dogs will know too!
Thanks for stopping by! You can find both recipes below. The Almond Butter & Jelly Smoothie is vegan, best left carnivore-free, and is also gluten free! Chloe’s Turkey Kale Bars are anything but vegan or vegetarian – and for Chloe, that’s a-ok!
xo, This Chick
- 1 lb ground lean organic turkey
- 2 cups garbanzo/chickpea flour
- 1.5 cups finely chopped organic kale
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the turkey in a sauté pan with a little cooking spray or olive oil and then drain it of any juices.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well - I actually used my hands! Pull the dough together into a ball and then put on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out to 3/4 inch thick. Cut into squares or use cookie cutters! Put on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. Keep an eye on it!
- 2 nice handfuls of frozen strawberries
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 generous spoonfuls of chunky almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Put all ingredients in the order listed into a blender and blend well! Drink up!
- Add flax for more nutrient benefits, otherwise enjoy as it is for a healthy adult version of a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich!