Well kids, FALL is finally here! Yes, even in Arizona we have departed from the triple digit weather and it’s becoming slightly more Fall-like here as well. With the Fall comes so many things – jumping in leaf piles, apple picking, cozy sweatshirts and… America’s favorite pastime, FOOTBALL. I can honestly tell you that I am not a football fan. In fact, I love Sundays because people are busy watching football games and there’s less traffic on the road and fewer people in the stores and I can get so much done! And it carries on to Monday night! Love it. I blame the lack of interest in football on my brothers. We grew up in Massachusetts. One brother could care less about football and the other brother was/is a Miami Dolphins fan. We should’ve been Patriots fans, but you see where things went wrong….. I also should be a Bruins fan, but we weren’t a hockey family and after moving to Arizona, a friend introduced me to the Phoenix Coyotes, and now I’m part of the Pack! However, I do own a Bruins sweatshirt and hold a little place for them in my heart – #BostonStrong! So, as you get together with your football cronies this Sunday, or Monday night, turn on the crockpot and give this baby a whirl! Not only will the house smell AMAZING but everyone will love the chili you’ve provided and they won’t even realize it’s SO CLEAN! I’m hoping this is just the beginning of my crockpot cooking – since I work from home full time, it makes for a fabulous aroma in my “office”. ; )
For the Vegan Ashleys, this is already vegan; in fact, the cheese you see in the picture above is almond milk cheese! VEGAN baby! You can add anything extra on top such as shredded cheese (dairy or non-dairy), avocado, tortilla strips, etc. For the carnivores, I think it’ll be perfect to add some lean ground turkey, chicken or pork to the slow cooker. Can you smell that aroma already?!
Don’t forget that This Chick is on all modes of social media, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest! Thanks for following and hanging out in my kitchen.
xo, This Chick
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup lentils
- 15 oz. butter beans, drained
- 15 oz. kidney beans, drained
- 4-5 tomatoes small to medium tomatoes, diced (do not deseed or remove the pulp)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
- Note: If you’re adverse to too much heat, eliminate the jalapeno! Also, this is good to go after about 3 hours, if you’re in a hurry, just watch for the quinoa to sprout and become more translucent. Letting the ingredients marry together for more time is preferred.
- In a large sauté pan, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until soft and then add in the ingredients jalapeno through corn kernels and sauté for about 7 minutes to take the crunch out of everything.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the crock-pot and add in the remaining ingredients. Slow cook on medium for 6-8 hours.